Welcome to 2ndHandBooks.com Frequently Asked Questions. Our goal is to provide 2ndHandBooks.com book and collectible customers with as accurate and timely information possible. If you have questions please check below. FAQs will continue to be expanded, so if you can't find the answer please check back later or try looking for the answer using the Help Modules.
- Can 2ndHandBooks.com help me find a book or collectible?
Yes, we would be delighted to assist you if at all possible. If you don't find the book you're looking for from our database, please send us an e-mail. We will search our network of used bookstores and send you an update within two weeks. When we locate the book for you, we will quote you the price via E-mail, and acquire the book for you upon issue of your confirmation. For more information on this process, see our Terms of Sale.
- Can I order my books or collectibles online?
Yes, you can order books or collectibles online. 2ndHandBooks.com offers several options. In order to see purchase options, click either on the title of the book or the "add to cart" options link of the book description on the Search Results page.
All 2ndHandBooks.com books and collectibles are available for purchase by American Express, Discover, VISA, MasterCard or PayPal through our secure server. Money Orders and Checks are welcomed, however, must be received prior to shipment processing. Telephone and Telefax orders are also welcomed.
- How to Order Books or Collectibles at 2ndHandBooks.com
A. Using the Shopping Cart
The 2ndHandBooks.com program offers the convenience of one-stop shopping to buyers. You may place books you wish to order in a shopping cart and then complete the order for all of your selected items at the same time. Here's how:
1. Find the Books or Collectibles on 2ndHandBooks.com:
- Enter the author, title or other relevant book or collectible information and click on "GO" or "Search". From the Search Results screen, click on the "Add to Cart" link.
2. From the Book or Collectible Detail screen, click on the "Add to Cart" link to the book or collectible into your 2ndHandBooks.com Shopping Cart. This will take you to the Shopping Cart display screen, where you can:
- Review the contents of your shopping cart
- Remove books or collectibles from your shopping cart
- Buy a single book or collectible using the "checkout" symbol
- Return to the Search Results screen to continue viewing the available titles or begin a new search with different search criteria
- Proceed to the Secure Checkout to buy the books or collectibles in the Shopping Cart.
- Simply follow the on-line prompts and you will be guided through the checkout process.
- Sending Credit Card Numbers by Email
All orders for 2ndHandBooks.com books and collectibles are sent through 2ndHandBooks.com secure server. Our secure server software (SSL) is the industry standard and among the best software available for secure commerce transactions. SSL encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, so that the information cannot be read as it travels over the Internet.
- Should I include my credit card number in an email?
You should not send credit card numbers over the web unless it is through a secure server. While it is unlikely the transfer is anything less than secure, we don't feel the minimal risk is worth the potential consequence.
If you would like to send credit card details via email, please consider splitting the number up into two or more messages. You may also call in or fax your credit card info.
- I forgot my password, can you send it to me?
Yes. Enter your email address and click the "Forgot" button and your password will be emailed to you.
- Can I search for a book if I do not know the title or the author?
Yes. The keyword field is used to enter search words that may relate to the book or item you are seeking. It is important to know that keywords are generated by individual booksellers and may differ widely. Booksellers also use keywords to designate categories other than books, i.e., Music: LP, Records, sheet Music, Albums, CD, Vinyl
- What is Keyword Search or Quick Search?
Simply enter one or more keywords pertaining to the item you are seeking, and you will be presented with a list of all pertinent items.
- What is Advanced Search?
A more elaborate search function by specific fields suitable for detailed searching through our database.
- How do I establish My Account with 2ndHandBooks.com?
You can register at 2ndhandbooks to establish an account, or placing an order also implicitly establishes an account.
How do I establish my personal Wish List with 2ndHandBooks.com?
Simply click "Wish List" for any item. That item will be displayed in your personal wish list for later purchase. Items can be added or removed from your personal wish list by clicking the appropriate buttons.
- How do I redeem my Online Gift Certificates?
This process is not defined
- General Guidelines for Book Grading
2ndHandBooks.com attempts to use the standards listed below to grade the condition of books prior to being listed in our on-line store. We recommend that prospective buyers refer to these standards to understand the condition of books they wish to purchase.
Mint / As New - A book that appears as it came from the publisher, without blemish or flaw. The dust jacket (if issued with the book and present) is without blemish or flaw. A Mint or As New book may have been read however maintains its original quality.
Fine - A Fine book comes near to a Mint or As New but is not as crisp and tight. Small defects such as minor tears in the dust jacket should be noted. The few minor defects are exceptions to the book's fine condition.
Very Good - Very Good means that a book shows minor signs of wear. There are no tears in the binding or pages. However, any defects are noted. Very Good books are not dog-eared, foxed, or shelf-cocked, or an Ex-Library copy unless so noted.
Good - Good books are the most typical used books. They have some noticeable wear and fading and may show some looseness. Defects and wear are noted.
Fair - Fair books have very obvious wear. Some pages may be loose but the text material is complete. All defects and wear are so noted.
Poor (Also Reading Copy) - Poor or Reading copies have complete text but may be missing maps or plates. Such copies may be scruffy, beat up, stained and have broken or torn hinges and weak or missing spines.
Ex-Library - Ex-Library copies were once part of a public, university/college, or corporate library. They are usually identified with one or more markings of the library such as stampings, card pockets, cataloging numbers, etc. Frequently they are marked as discarded or withdrawn when sold by a library. Ex-Library copies are so identified in addition to describing the overall condition of the book.
Book Club Edition - Book Club Editions are issued by various book clubs. They are frequently, but not always, of lesser quality than the same title sold in bookstores. Book Club editions are identified in addition to describing the overall condition of the book.